Performing Cardio and Strength Training at the same time!

Some people think that cardio and strength training can never be done at the same time. That is where they are wrong since they can be combined into one workout. However, this must be done properly to be effective. Cardio works the heart and lungs and enable the development of endurance. Strength training is responsible for developing the muscles. Most people would have often laughed at the thought that the two can be combined to develop both systems effectively.


cardio and strength training combined into one
cardio and strength training combined into one

When people talks about cardio, they think that it is about running, biking, or stair climbing. Actually, it goes more than that. Cardio enables the heart rate up to a certain level. People never realize that raising the heart rate can also be done through strength training. Cardio with weights is a good way to get the heart rate up, as well.

Combining Cardio and Strength Training with Weighted Cardio

With the incorporation of “ weighted cardio ” into your routine, thus means getting a good cardio workout using standard weight training techniques. In order for it to work, you need weight sets that are relatively long such as 25 reps per set. Take a rest for no more than 10 to 20 seconds, or not rest at all to keep the heart rate elevated. Choose strength training intense workouts that use different muscle groups like squats or push-ups.

Combining Cardio with Strength Training

If you don’t like “weighted cardio”, you can still combine separate cardio and strength training in one routine. Combining cardio with weight training is possible and doesn’t necessarily have to compromise one or the other. It can be done through changing your routine every time. For example, try dedicating about 75% of your routine to cardio, and the other 25% to strength training one day. The next day, do the reverse – perform 75% weight lifting, and the other 25% to cardio.

Despite the fact that the two can be combined, remember that too much cardio can actually slow your strength gains with weight training. If you want to develop lean muscle mass, it’s a good idea not to go too long or intense on the cardio, or you can risk interfering with muscle gains.

When you are performing both weight training and cardio in the same day, it is advisable to perform the weight training first. This will let you have enough energy for lifting heavy weights, thus develop muscle mass. Doing the cardio first can limit your energy sources when you need to lift weights.

Combine cardio and strength training exercises, which don’t engage the same muscles. For example, if you plan on doing a heavy squat and lower body workout, try not to do an intense bike workout on the same day. Instead, choose swimming or cross-country skiing as your cardio exercise.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *